Air mattresses have become increasingly popular in recent years, but there is some debate over whether or not they are good for your back. Some people swear by them, while others say they cause more pain than they relieve. So, what is the verdict? Are air mattresses bad for your back? The short answer is that there is no definitive answer. Some people find that air mattresses help relieve back pain, while others find that they make it worse. It really depends on the individual and the air mattress they are using.
Let’s take a closer look at whether sleeping on an inflatable air mattress is a good option for you as we address some of the key questions around air mattresses and back pain.
What Causes Back Pain?
Back pain is one of the most common health issues in the United States, according to the American Chiropractic Association. An estimated 80 percent of people in the United States will experience back pain in some form.
Back pain can be caused by a variety of things. Some of the most common causes of back pain include muscle strain or injury, poor posture, sitting for long hours, working on a computer, lifting heavy objects, arthritis, and herniated discs. Some people may be genetically predisposed, which leaves them at risk for certain types of lower back pain, or lumbar spondylosis. Older people are vulnerable to osteoporosis, which could cause fractures in the spine. In addition, in some cases, back pain can be caused or made worse by things that are amiss when you’re asleep.
As you can see the causes of back pain are vast. That is why It is important to understand the different causes of back pain so that you can get the proper treatment from the appropriate professionals and find relief.
What Causes Back Pain When Sleeping?
Do you ever go to bed with your back feeling fine, only to wake up feeling sore or worse than when you went to bed? If this happens to you it’s pretty annoying, isn’t it? If this sounds familiar, there are probably a few things you can point to that are the root of your problems.
How Your Sleeping Position Can Cause Back Pain?
Have you ever woken up with a stiff back? Or maybe you have chronic back pain that never seems to go away. The position you sleep in could be to blame.
Many experts agree that sleeping on your side or back can help alleviate or prevent back pain. Conversely, depending on your physical build and any existing back issues or injuries, laying on your back, side, or stomach can cause back pain.
So if you are feeling stiff and sore when you wake up in the morning, it may be because you are sleeping in the wrong position. You might want to try sleeping in a different position to see if this helps alleviate your back pain.
How Sleeping in an Awkward Position Can Cause Back Pain?
If you have ever experienced falling asleep on a couch or during a flight, you are already aware that sleeping in an awkward position can often lead to back pain. This is because these positions can hold your spine in unnatural, twisted or compressed positions for long periods of time. No matter where you sleep, the position of your back, head, and neck can cause a variety of problems, including back pain.
If you are a restless sleeper, tossing and turning throughout the night and ending up in awkward positions, it is likely that you will wake up with a stiff neck and back.
How Your Pillow Can Cause Back Pain?
There are many things that can contribute to neck and back pain, but one factor that sometimes gets overlooked is your pillow. Having a good pillow can make a big difference for many people, especially those who suffer from back problems.
It is essential to have proper support and alignment regardless of which position you sleep in. If your pillow doesn’t provide enough support, it can cause your spine to become misaligned, resulting in neck and back pain in the morning.
If you’re struggling with back pain, it might be time to re-evaluate your sleep habits and the type of pillow you’re using. The right pillow that is both comfortable and supportive can make a world of difference when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep. This, in turn, can help you feel more relaxed and energized during the day.
How Your Mattress Can Cause Back Pain?
If you’re someone who regularly suffers from back pain, you might want to take a closer look at your mattress. That’s because the type of mattress you sleep on can actually contribute to back pain. If your mattress is too soft or too firm, it can cause problems with support and lead to back pain.
A good mattress does a number of things to prevent back pain. It will be firm enough to provide proper support to your back and ensure that your weight will be evenly distributed. The supportive qualities of a mattress are vital to keeping the spine in alignment and maintaining its natural curve. A mattress should provide enough support to keep your back from becoming too flat while being soft enough to be comfortable and ease pressure points but not so soft that you sink into it.
Does Sleeping on an Inflatable Air Mattress Cause Back Problems?
Are you worried about the effects sleeping on an air mattress may have on your back? Well, you’re not alone. Many people are concerned that sleeping on an air mattress may cause back pain. For some people with existing back problems, it is possible that sleeping on an air mattress may not be a good fit, which is something you may want to ask your health care provider. However, for most people, modern air mattresses are a comfortable way to sleep and won’t harm your back.
Where Did the Idea That Air Mattresses Are Bad for Your Back Come From?
The idea that air mattresses are bad for your back is largely based on stories from people who had negative experiences sleeping on them in the past. But air mattresses of years ago were different from the modern air mattresses we have today.
Air mattresses used to be made with less durable materials. They often didn’t provide much support and were also prone to leaking. It was a common occurrence to get hot while sleeping on them and have your skin get stuck to the plastic if you didn’t put something on top of it. Plus, the low height of these beds made them hard to get in and out of, and if they lost air overnight, you’d wake up on the floor with your back feeling sore.
How Are Modern Air Mattresses Better for Your Back Than Mattresses of Years Ago?
The modern air mattress has come a long way from the flimsy, easily punctured mattresses of the past. With a modern air mattress, you can sleep soundly all night without having to worry about your back hurting. So, what’s changed?
More Durable Construction
Modern air mattresses are built with stronger materials and are more durable than their predecessors making them less likely to leak. This increased durability means that your air mattress will last longer, which in turn means that you won’t have to worry about replacing it as often. Many of the most durable air mattresses will cost a bit more, but knowing that they will last longer makes it easier to justify their higher price.
Air Coils and Air Coil Beams
Modern air mattresses incorporate air coils and air coil beams into their design. They do an excellent job of maintaining the inflatable mattresses’ shape and firmness helping to ensure that your weight is evenly distributed so you can get a good night’s sleep.
The built-in pumps that come on most of today’s air mattresses not only make inflating and deflating the mattress quick and easy, but they make inflating the mattress to your desired level of firmness easier as well.
Pumps with sensors to keep the air mattress inflated to your desired firmness throughout the night
Even the best air mattresses may lose a bit of air from time to time. If you are someone who needs your mattress to be at a very specific level of firmness to wake up without back pain, you will be excited to know that some air mattresses come with sensors that will activate a secondary pump to keep the mattress at your preferred level of firmness should the mattress experience a drop in air pressure throughout the night. This means that the air pressure inside your mattress will be constant, maintaining the right firmness for you all night, not just when you first get into bed.
Best Selling Air Mattresses on Amazon With Never Flat Pumps
- NEVER FLAT TECHNOLOGY: Our Serta Queen air mattress has 2 inflation pumps. One handles rapid inflation and deflation at the turn of a dial. The secondary silent air pump will allow you to set your desired firmness of the inflatable bed, and then if the bed loses air during the night the silent secondary pump will automatically turn on and retain your desired firmness. Here at Serta, we want to ensure you, or your guest gets a restful night’s sleep!
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: Constructed with heavy-duty waterproof puncture-resistant materials. This Air bed sits tall like a traditional bed, futon, or sofa bed. At 18" tall any guest should be able to get in and out of this guest bed with ease. This portable Queen air mattress with built in pump is a premium sleep solution for anyone looking for the best night’s sleep.
- SOFT AND SUPPORTIVE: This luxury Queen air mattress uses independent coils to allow for a firm yet supportive sleeping experience. This premium Queen inflatable bed houses 35 coils. The flocking on the surface of this blow up bed creates a plush and breathable membrane that is comfortable to the touch or secures your sheets all night long. Here at Serta, we want to ensure you, or your guest gets a restful night’s sleep!
- READY TO GO: The Serta Never Flat Raised Queen air mattress is ready for anything whether you are camping out, sleeping over, or hosting a house full. This blowup bed packs down small for storage and transportation. The included storage tote bag is oversized so packing up the air mattress is easy. The airbed also comes with a built in cord storage box. This makes your self inflating air mattress the best portable bed you could ask for.
- 2 YEAR PEACE OF MIND WARRANTY: What good is an air mattress if it’s not ready at a moment’s notice? Hassle free warranty support for 2 full years, the Serta Queen Never Flat air mattress is built to last and designed with regular use in mind. Contact our Customer Service team for prompt service or to answer any questions.
- NEVER FLAT TECHNOLOGY: Our Insta-Bed twin air mattress has 2 inflation pumps. One handles rapid inflation and deflation at the turn of a dial. The secondary silent air pump will allow you to set your desired firmness of the inflatable bed, and then if the bed looses air during the night the silent secondary pump will automatically turn on and retain your desired firmness. Here at Insta-Bed we want to ensure you or your guest gets a restful nights sleep!
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: Constructed with heavy duty waterproof puncture resistant materials. This Air bed sits tall like a traditional bed, futon, or sofa bed. At 18" tall any guest should be able to get in and out of this guest bed with ease. This portable twin air mattress with built in pump is a premium sleep solution for anyone looking for the best nights sleep possible.
- SOFT AND SUPPORTIVE: This luxury twin air mattress uses independent coils to allow for a firm yet supportive sleeping experience. This premium twin inflatable bed houses 21 coils. The flocking on the surface of this blow up bed creates a plush and breathable membrane that is comfortable to the touch or secures your sheets all night long. Here at Insta-Bed we want to ensure you or your guest gets a restful nights sleep!
- READY TO GO: The Insta-Bed Never Flat Raised twin air mattress is ready for anything whether your are camping out, sleeping over, or hosting a house full. This blowup bed packs down small for storage and transportation. The included storage tote bag is oversized so packing up the air mattress is easy. The airbed also comes with a built in cord storage box. This makes your self inflating air mattress the best portable bed you could ask for.
- 1 YEAR PEACE OF MIND WARRANTY: What good is an air mattress if it’s not ready at a moment’s notice? Hassle free warranty support for 1 full year, the Insta-Bed Twin Never Flat air mattress is built to last, and designed with regular use in mind. Contact our Customer Service team for prompt service or to answer any questions.
- Crafted from the highest quality material
- Perfect for outdoor and even indoor use
- Made in China
Last update on 2023-11-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Many modern air mattresses will come with flocking on the top and sometimes on the sides as well. Flocking is a fabric coating that makes the mattress feel more soft and plush. While not as plush as a topper, the flocking will make the air mattress feel more comfortable. It also makes the mattress more durable as it provides an extra layer of protection from punctures. Mattresses with flocking are also safer to sleep on and easier to get on and off of because the flocking provides a slip-resistant surface. While the flocking helps prevent you from sliding around on the surface of the mattress it also helps you feel cooler and prevents your skin from sticking to the surface of the mattress should you get hot.
Higher off the Ground
Today you find air mattresses that are higher off the ground than their predecessors from years ago. In fact, there are a large number of air mattresses that are you can find many air mattresses that are 15″ tall or taller with several models in the 18 to 22 inch range. Having a taller air mattress makes it easier to get in and out of bed, which is a huge bonus especially if you are a bit older or have a stiff back.
The Big Advantage That Air Mattresses Have Over Traditional Mattresses
When most of us choose a traditional mattress the big thing most of us are thinking about is its level of comfort and support. Will it be too hard and aggravate my pressure points? Will it be too soft? Will it provide my spine with the proper level of support?
The difficult thing is that it is hard to know the answer to these questions until you actually sleep on the mattress. Then if you find out that you need something a little more support or something that puts a little less pressure on your pressure points you need to check the exchange policy and haul the mattress back to the store or possibly pay an arm and a leg for shipping.
This is where Air mattresses have a big advantage over traditional mattresses – they can be inflated and deflated until they are adjusted to your desired level of comfort and support. This means that air mattresses can provide customized support for your back and spine, which can lead to waking up feeling refreshed and pain-free when you wake up.
All in all, air mattresses are a great choice for those of you who are looking for a comfortable, affordable, and portable option for sleeping that won’t hurt your back. Made much more durable than air mattresses of years ago you won’t wake up disappointed laying on the floor with a sore back like people often did in the past.
Whether you are using it camping, traveling, or choose to use it as a longer-term sleeping solution, the customizable level of support available in today’s air mattresses along with the features we mentioned earlier can help you wake up with your back feeling great in the morning.